Re: [Scheme-reports] searching for libraries

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Per Bothner <per@x> wrote:
> 5.5.1 Library Syntax says:
>
> "Note: Implementations are encouraged to search for files in
> the directory which contains the including file, and to provide
> a way for users to specify other directories to search."
>
> What does this mean?  This implies a mapping from library to file,
> which I don't see otherwise specified.
>
> Of course without such a mapping, libraries aren't very portable ...

There's no guarantee an R7RS implementation even uses
files.  In Chibi, for instance, libraries may be pre-defined or
loaded from an image.  So there's not a whole lot we can
say about this.

I'd prefer to just drop the note altogether.  This level of
specification belongs to the tools used to distribute and
share code, i.e. snow.