Re: [Scheme-reports] Proposing amending char-numeric? definition

Alex Shinn scripsit:

> At my work we recently had a case of an application
> written for English which detected numbers in text
> by looking for ASCII '0'..'9'.  It turns out that we probably
> want this to apply to all digits in all scripts.  That would
> include the standard ideographic numbers as well as
> the old accounting numbers (壱 U+58F1, etc.), but
> probably not with a Unihan numeric value of kOtherNumeric
> (as with 幺).  So a middle ground between (1) and (3)
> may be desirable.

My general sense is that handling non-decimal digits is
overkill.  However, in order to handle decimal digits effectively,
we'd need a function to get the numeric value of a digit.

--
John Cowan  cowan@x   http://ccil.org/~cowan
It's the old, old story.  Droid meets droid.  Droid becomes chameleon.