Re: [Scheme-reports] Fwd: Symbol escapes - clarification

Vincent Manis scripsit:

> > I'm confused. The syntax in sec 7.1.1 appears to say that a symbol
> > element is any character except | or \. That seems inconsistent with
> > John's explanation above.

You're right.  I've added a fix on trunk to add <hex inline escape> to the
definition of <symbol element>, making the formal syntax consistent with
the prose.

> > Also, I'd also recommend that the backslash sequence \| be added, so
> > you can write the identifier \a|b/ as |\\a\|b/|, should you be so inclined.
> That was a poor choice for an example. |\a|b/ is a silly identifier| would
> be a better one.

I don't think this is a good idea: in the current design, when you see a |
you can read to the next | without having to worry about escaped |s.

--
John Cowan    cowan@x    http://ccil.org/~cowan
The whole of Gaul is quartered into three halves.