Re: [Scheme-reports] Ballot item #113 "directory contents"

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 7:30 AM, Aubrey Jaffer <agj@x> wrote:
>  | Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:36:05 +0900
>  | From: Alex Shinn <alexshinn@x>
>  | On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:30 PM, pod <pod@x> wrote:
>  | ...
>  | > Please forgive my interjections but I couldn't help noticing that
>  | > the current ballot item #113 "directory contents" seems rather
>  | > lacking in detail and does not got far enough in providing
>  | > functionality necessary for "a large class of scripts".  The info
>  | > paragraph for this items reads:
>  | >
>  | >    We've decided to add file-exists? and delete-file, essential
>  | >    for a large class of scripts, but still have no way to get a
>  | >    list of files in a directory. Do we want to provide an
>  | >    interface to this?
>
> SLIB has had "file-exists?" and "delete-file" for all supported
> implementations since 1993.

Yes, these two have the advantage that not only are they
useful, but they add no additional concepts to the language
that don't already exist with `open-input-file` and friends.

Any talk of directories, on the other hand, opens up the
can of worms of directory hierarchies and pathname
separators and the like.