Re: [Scheme-reports] Exception handling

Vincent Manis scripsit:

> I would like to know what the metric is for `this is too much to
> ask'. As presented in the Draft, exception handling is purely
> ornamental;

That is, handling of error-objects, whether created by calling `error`
or by some implementation-dependent means, is ornamental, because you
can't detect them.  I agree that that's bad.

However, a portable program can raise its own condition objects and
detect and dissect them, and an implementation can do the same using
implementation-dependent procedures.

> there is essentially nothing that a compliant program can do in
> reporting an error except write out `SOMETHING IS WRONG' (it's agreed
> that a program will know that an error or exception occurred; here I
> am concerned about reporting). I attempted to repair this by proposing
> a type predicate, [...] and two accessors.

There are really only two bars to pass: a WG member has to file a ticket
(which I have done) and the WG has to vote the proposal in.  WG members
may or may not provide explanations of why they vote the way they do; if
so, these are published with the ballots.

--
John Cowan              cowan@x          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Historians aren't constantly confronted with people who carry on