Re: [Scheme-reports] General comments on the draft WG1 R7 report.

There are many interesting topics in this thread, but I just jump in
to answer to the last question,
in hope of providing a datapoint.

You seem to suggest there's a two complete modes, separate compilation
and integrated
interpreter.   But actually these are two ends of continuous spectrum,
and I guess many
implementations these days fall somewhere between them.

Gauche provides an interactive REPL by default.   Under the hood,
however, it compiles
each toplevel expression, then executes it.  So, even in
non-batch-compiling mode,
cond-expand comes handy if one of the arms uses a *syntax* that are
not supported
in the running instance.   If cond-expand were replaced by run-time check with
cond, then every clause of cond would be compiled no matter how the feature set
is, resulting compile-time error if one of the clause is using
unsupported syntax.

So, even for REPL implementations, phase separation is a concern.