Re: [Scheme-reports] Standard Feature Identifiers are too low-level

Marc Feeley scripsit:

> My issue with these feature identifiers is that their semantics is
> vague.  Are they a feature of the compile-time Scheme system, or
> run-time Scheme system, or something else?  What can I infer from
> the "windows" feature?  Is this windows 3.0 or 95 or ...? The only
> practical use I can see is to determine the filename syntax, but there
> are better ways to determine this or to isolate from the difference.
> Also, endianness is not a pure dichotomy (some systems store code one
> way and data another, some are middle-endian, etc).

The PDP-11 has been dead for at least 15 years.

> Are the CPU architectures well defined?  What is the set of features
> of i386?  Aren't there differences in sub-variants of i386?  So as a
> programmer, what are the guarantees I have if the feature i386 is on?
>
> Can you present a use-case for these feature identifiers?

Not for strictly conforming R7RS-small programs, no.  As I have said,
the need arises when talking to lower-level software, and the point of
enumerating them in the standard is to avoid silly incompatibilities:
"I say 'darwin', you say 'macosx', let's call the whole thing off!"
Wherever possible they are drawn from existing de facto standards.

However, I have filed ticket #323 to reduce the set of standard
features.

> I agree, but a more general get-features procedure would be
> interesting (i.e. one that allows more complex queries than checking
> features identifiers).  Compare (memq 'cpu64 (get-features)) with (>
> (get-word-width) 32).

As chair, I would welcome such an API proposal for R7RS-large.

--
John Cowan  <cowan@x>  http://ccil.org/~cowan
Micropayment advocates mistakenly believe that efficient allocation of