Re: [Scheme-reports] Location of definitions inside libraries

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 6:37 AM, Christian Stigen Larsen <csl@x> wrote:
Hi,

are procedure definitions allowed outside of begin-blocks?  In John Cowan's
overview of R7RS,

  http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/raw-attachment/wiki/WikiStart/overview.pdf

it appears so:

    (define-library (hello)
      ; ...
      (define (hello-world)
         ; ...))

contra

    (define-library (hello)
      ; ...
      (begin
        (define (hello-world)
          ; ...)))

The 8th draft doesn't seem to allow anything other than the seven library
declarations mentioned in 5.6.1, implying that definitions must appear
inside (begin ...).

If this is the intention, I think the draft should either state so
explicitly or show it as part of the example library in 5.6.2.

Yes, this is the intention, thanks for bringing it up.
We've already clarified some of the language on this.

It's important that there be a simple, static separation
of Scheme code and library declarations in order that
define-library can be translated into the native module
system.