Re: [Scheme-reports] Some comments after reading the r7rs public draft

Thank you for responding, and for including the delay suggestion.  I didn't consider the unreasonable complexity of standardising the FFI across JVM or CLR implementations, in which case you are right that it is best left out of R7RS-small, however I don't agree with your last point that "Scheme applications are and probably will continue to be best implemented on top of a specific Scheme implementation...".

With the rise of cloud computing it is now more common to pick a language and an ecosystem than it is to choose an interpreter/compiler and work with only that.  Cloud hosted web applications are precisely the confluence of buzzwords that many people use Scheme to avoid, but R7RS-large will be a great alternative to a language like Ruby for this task.  Ruby for example has at least 2 native code implementations and 1 implementation each for the JVM and CLR, and if these weren't compatible, then migration of code from development servers to any one of a number of commercial hosting companies would be complex, and it is hard to see how Ruby would be as good a choice as it is for a web application without that compatibility.

Cloud considerations are perhaps not the most pressing reasons to avoid dialects in Scheme, but if the intention with R7RS-large is to build an "engineering" Scheme (I'm not certain what the exact R7RS brief is, but I certainly hope to use Scheme in future work), then I think it needs to attain the consistency that python, ruby, php get from having a reference implementation.

-- Duncan Steele