Re: [Scheme-reports] Mutable Pairs

> The power tools live in a special cupboard

You know, I would actually find this all somewhat convincing had you not
neglected to answer the part of my metaphor about "shaming."  Go back and
re-read what the advocates of optional-module mutation have said in this
discussion as if you were me and with an eye to the (generally pretty
explicit) eventual-weaning-away rhetoric.  I believe you that with respect
to actual physical power tools your pedagogic goal is that the kids end up
/as regular users/ of power tools, without cutting their fingers off in the
learning process.  Your power-tool pedagogy is a weaning-/toward/, if you'll
pardon the torturing of language in that phrase, not a weaning-away.  But the
rhetoric around set-car! and set-cdr! does not have that flavor at all.  It's
more like the rhetoric about why we can't just outlaw tobacco outright, but
have to be sensitive to the needs of the already-addicted.