Re: [Scheme-reports] R7RS test suite?

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 3:38 AM, Per Bothner <per@x> wrote:
For Kawa I'm working my way through r7rs-test.scm
from chibi-scheme-0.6.1.  Is this the best/recommended
"standard" R7RS test suite?

Yes, though that doesn't mean it can't be improved.

Some expressions return inexact real results, and
these are being compared with equals, which is non-portable.
I suggest using something like SRFI-64's test-approximate.

The test suite is written using the (chibi test) module,
which is written in portable R7RS.  If both the result
and expected value are inexact they are compared
approximately by default.  In the rare case you want
to compare a specific inexact bit pattern you can use
test-assert with =.

Some places expect an exact result, when that is not required
by the standard.  For example:
(test 30 ((compose sqrt *) 12 75))

This is too strong a requirement, I'll make the test allow
inexact results.  This case (where the standard allows
either an exact or inexact result) would be a good case
to provide something like test-approximate.

Having test-numeric-syntaxes take a long list of tests makes it
more difficult to deal with individual tests, in terms of
debugging or marking them as expected failures.

This was adapted largely as-is from Peter Bex's numeric test
suite for R5RS, pruning a lot.  Possibly I overlooked some
tests that are no longer valid, please let me know if you find
any.

Converting to a single test-numeric-syntax macro would
indeed be better.  Patches welcome :)