Re: [Scheme-reports] clarification of proposal for eqv?/eq? on procedures

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM, Taylan Ulrich B. <taylanbayirli@x> wrote:

I would constrain the returning-false condition via eqv?, indicating
that eqv? is always compatible and sometimes more capable:

    On symbols, booleans, the empty list, pairs, records, and non-empty
    strings, vectors, and bytevectors, eq? and eqv? are guaranteed to
    have the same behavior. On procedures eq? returns true if the
    arguments' location tags are equal, and returns false at least when
    eqv? also does. On numbers and characters, eq?'s behavior is
    implementation-dependent, but it will always return either true or
    false, and will return true only when eqv? would also return
    true. On empty strings, empty vectors, and empty bytevectors, eq?
    may also behave differently from eqv?.

Thanks, this sounds better.  Assuming the WG does not choose to
reverse our decision on requiring eq? and eqv? to behave the same
on procedures (ballot item #467), then I think we'll use this text.

BTW, for those interested, I checked the (chibi parse) test suite and
the cost of using eqv? (via assv) for procedures instead of eq? was
about a 2.8% slowdown (of the entire test suite, not a micro-benchmark).
The difference between the two procedures in Chibi is especially large,
but will be significant even in fast compilers because it's a difference
between simple pointer comparison vs multiple branches and dereferencing
memory you otherwise wouldn't need to.

[And of course, the slowdown is for all practical purposes infinite
if we can't use either eq? or eqv?.]