Re: [Scheme-reports] More NaN and Infsanity

Peter Bex scripsit:

> For example (max +inf.0 +nan.0), should this return +inf.0 (which
> is the biggest number possible), or should it return +nan.0?

R6RS requires that (max +inf.0 x) for any real x return +inf.0; it is
silent about (max x +inf.0), but I'd think that was entailed.  Racket,
Gauche, MIT, Chicken (with and without the numbers egg), Scheme48, Guile,
Ypsilon, Mosh, IronScheme, STklos, Elk, VX return +inf.0.  On the other
hand, Gambit, Bigloo, Kawa, SISC, Chibi, Chez, Vicare, Larceny, NexJ,
UMB, Spark, FemtoLisp return +nan.0.  My other Schemes throw errors,
either because they don't like flonums, they don't like division by 0.0,
or they produce cockeyed values of (/ 1.0 0.0) and/or (/ 0.0 0.0).

Given that the six R6RS implementations are split 3-3, and that all the
Java ones prefer +nan.0, I don't think it's worth filing a ticket to
standardize this behavior.  Fast is almost certainly better than right
in this case.

> What should the value of the various trig functions be given nan/inf
> values?

Whatever IEEE 754 says.  Editorial ticket #365 will add more examples
(probably ripped off from R6RS) for the transcendental functions.

--
John Cowan     http://ccil.org/~cowan    cowan@x
Monday we watch-a Firefly's house, but he no come out.  He wasn't home.