Re: [Scheme-reports] List of named characters is incomplete

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Marc Feeley <feeley@x> wrote:
> Formal Comment
>
> Submitter's name: Marc Feeley
> Submitter's email: feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
> Relevant draft: r7rs draft 6
>
> Type: defect
> Relevant section of draft: 6.6. Characters

> Section 6.6 mentions that #\iota is the Unicode iota character.  Yet
> section 7.1.1 (Lexical structure) does not list this as a valid
> character name.  Do I understand correctly that an implementation may
> extend in an implementation dependent way the set of named characters
> given in section 7.1.1.  If that is the case, then Section 6.6 should
> not say that #\iota is the Unicode iota character, since this is an
> implementation dependent extension.
>
> If the name "iota" is taken from an official list of Unicode character
> names, it would be useful to have a reference in the R7RS.

Iota can't be an official Unicode name since
it is ambiguous between upper and lowercase.
The intention was that implementations could
add whatever names they liked (including non-
Unicode characters).  We could consider
recommending the official unicode names using
a consistent syntax such as all lowercase
replacing spaces with hyphens:

  #\latin-small-letter-iota

but this would still be optional.

Formal comment ticket #434 added.